1442 hrs. I am leaving for the airport soon. I got back here a week ago. Since I have been here on this brief between leg of tour sit, I have been getting a lot done but nothing much that anyone would find interesting. It was a blurred week of meetings, press, studio work, a photo session and re-packing.
The best part of the week was that Ian MacKaye and his family were in town, so we had a chance to visit some. Last night, we did the radio show, that turned out well. Those things often look really good on paper but when the rubber meets the road, it’s not always great but last night was very good. Ian brought some really great music. I have posted the show notes from last night on the site, so you can see what we got into. The show will be up on archive all week at KCRW.com.
I have been getting some letters, asking why these posts are not at their usual, weekly rate. First off, thank you very much for your interest in the first place. Matt C wrote me several minutes ago, asking me this very question. I thank you and I am sorry that I have been lagging on this front.
Touring seems to put me in a performance oriented tunnel of show after show obsession with doing it to death every night. It’s not always easy for me to get my head out of it sometimes. It’s not an easy thing to get out there every night and hit it. It’s what I do and what I like to do, of course, but it takes all I have. When Sunday rolls around, I am usually emerging from my bunk with either a show hours away or a day off in the middle of nowhere and I am looking for a gym to go to.
I will pull my head out of my ass a little better in the weeks coming up and get back into harness. There is an idea I have been working on, making notes and getting the shape of it together that I will post as soon as I can. I think you might perhaps find it interesting. It has to do with George Zimmerman and a possible new view of the Second Amendment. Not really about him but about where things might be going with privatization and law enforcement. As you know, nothing I come up with is any great intellectual leap but this might lead to some further thought on what is happening now and where things might be heading. I need some time when I don’t have everything else breathing down my neck. I will have some press days in Australia where I won’t have to be responsible for a show that night, maybe I can get it down then.
On tour, that’s kind of all there is for me—the show. That’s what it’s all about. I have found it hard to be creative in the hours pre-show. Night after night, I am behind the stage, pacing, working over things in my mind, trying to focus on what I will say. I don’t want to be half way up there, I want the show to be as great as I can make it. I mean, what else would you possibly want to do? Be sort of good? Anyway, it takes a lot of my time and sometimes, not a lot else gets done. I take all these books out with me on tour with high hopes of reading them and I do, but not nearly at the rate I would like. I am working on five of my own at the same time so when I am reading, I reckon I should be writing or proofreading, etc.
Anyway, I need to get a lot done before wheels up. Thanks for reading this. Henry
2017June May March
2015July June May April
- 04-28-15 Henry & Heidi Podcast: Rollins Band Part 2
- 04-13-15 Henry & Heidi Podcast: Haagen-Dazs
- 04-03-15 Henry & Heidi Podcast: The Chase
2012December November October September August July June
- 06-27-12 DISPATCH 06-27-12 LOS ANGELES
- 06-13-12 DISPATCH 06-13-12 OTTAWA CANADA
- 06-04-12 DISPATCH 06-03-12 WHITEHORSE YUKON TERRITORY CANADA
- 05-27-12 DISPATCH 05-27-12 LOS ANGELES
- 05-23-12 DISPATCH 05-22-12 EN ROUTE TO LOS ANGELES
- 05-13-12 DISPATCH 05-03-12 JOHANNESBURG SOUTH AFRICA
- 05-08-12 DISPATCH 05-08-12 WOLLONGONG AUSTRALIA
- 04-29-12 DISPATCH 04-29-12 SYDNEY TO DARWIN AUSTRALIA
- 04-23-12 DISPATCH 04-23-12 ADELAIDE / MELBOURNE AUSTRALIA
- 04-08-12 DISPATCH 04-08-12 LOS ANGELES
- 01-29-12 DISPATCH 01-29-12 Saarbrucken Germany
- 01-21-12 DISPATCH 01-21-12 BEXHILL UK
- 01-02-12 DISPATCH 01-01-12 LOS ANGELES
2011December November October
- 10-24-11 DISPATCH 10-23-11 OAKLAND CA
- 10-17-11 DISPATCH 10-16-11 BOSTON MA
- 10-10-11 DISPATCH 10-09-11 PHILADELPHIA PA
- 09-21-11 DISPATCH 09-21-11 VIRGINIA
- 09-11-11 DISPATCH 09-11-11 LOS ANGELES
- 09-07-11 DISPATCH 09-06-11 PORT AU PRINCE HAITI
- 09-01-11 DISPATCH 09-01-11 LOS ANGELES
- 08-22-11 DISPATCH 08-22-11 BELFAST NORTHERN IRELAND
- 08-15-11 DISPATCH 08-15-11 LOS ANGELES CA
- 08-07-11 DISPATCH 08-07-11 LOS ANGELES
- 07-24-11 DISPATCH 07-24-11 LOS ANGELES
- 07-17-11 DISPATCH 07-17-11 LOS ANGELES
- 07-11-11 DISPATCH 07-11-11 ASHEVILLE NC
- 07-03-11 DISPATCH 07-03-11 LOS ANGELES
- 03-14-11 DISPATCH 03-13-11 LOS ANGELES
- 03-06-11 DISPATCH 03-06-11 MELBOURNE AUSTRALIA
- 03-01-11 DISPATCH 02-28-11 LA CA
- 02-20-11 DISPATCH 02-20-11 LOS ANGELES
- 02-10-11 DISPATCH 02-11-11 NEW YORK CITY
- 02-02-11 DISPATCHES JANUARY 2011