1138 hrs. At the airport. Long day of flying ahead to Los Angeles.
The last several days have been busy, Nat Geo busy. We get it done, no matter what. The days have been long but we’ve seen some interesting stuff.
Perhaps the most compelling was a Pentecostal church meeting we filmed last Saturday night. It took quite a long time to convince the pastor that we had no intention of making fools of them. Finally, he gave us access to the meeting and we traveled to Kentucky out of North Carolina to check it out. We were hoping to shoot this last year but it fell through.
The meeting lasted almost three hours. Music was played almost the entire time. Venomous snakes were handled, people spoke in tongues, it was all pretty intense for a first-timer.
I am not a religious person and I can’t say that I understand what these people were going through during the meeting but the sincerity of these people can’t be questioned. It’s their thing. The church is located off a quiet road, they are not disturbing anyone. It would be easy to drive by and not know what’s happening in the small building three times a week.
I talked to many of the people afterwards and they were extremely friendly and thanked us for coming by. Thankfully, National Geographic isn’t in the business of denigrating people, so I think the footage will be cut together really well. Not many outsiders get to see these meetings, so I feel very lucky.
We are almost done with all the shooting outside shooting for these shows. Tomorrow, we start on the in-studio shoots in Los Angeles. That will be a long day but its work that must be done.
Due to the all-out nature of this work, I have not checked out much happening out in the world. These days are long and they start very early. Until last night, we were all operating on a few hours of sleep a night. Perhaps this week, I will have a chance to catch up on things.
I get back late tonight and will hopefully have some time to square things away somewhat. The next few days are some of the last clear days before things get very busy for me. I make sure things stay pretty busy all the time but things will be taking a few ticks upwards as the August festival dates draw near and the next book gets ready to drop.
During the last few days, I have been taking naps in between set ups, two to three minutes at a time, I am good at it but also see that I can always go harder than I think. This kind of work demands it. I have been enjoying the challenge of these long range shoots.
We are live on the radio next week. I have not started on the show but will begin on it on the Atlanta to Los Angeles flight. Hopefully, there’s some new records waiting for me at the office that I can fold in to the mix.
Ok, time to board soon. I am going to take advantage of the free internet and access the site.
Thanks for reading this. Henry
2017September July June May March
2015July June May April
- 04-28-15 Henry & Heidi Podcast: Rollins Band Part 2
- 04-13-15 Henry & Heidi Podcast: Haagen-Dazs
- 04-03-15 Henry & Heidi Podcast: The Chase
2012December November October September August July June
- 06-27-12 DISPATCH 06-27-12 LOS ANGELES
- 06-13-12 DISPATCH 06-13-12 OTTAWA CANADA
- 06-04-12 DISPATCH 06-03-12 WHITEHORSE YUKON TERRITORY CANADA
- 05-27-12 DISPATCH 05-27-12 LOS ANGELES
- 05-23-12 DISPATCH 05-22-12 EN ROUTE TO LOS ANGELES
- 05-13-12 DISPATCH 05-03-12 JOHANNESBURG SOUTH AFRICA
- 05-08-12 DISPATCH 05-08-12 WOLLONGONG AUSTRALIA
- 04-29-12 DISPATCH 04-29-12 SYDNEY TO DARWIN AUSTRALIA
- 04-23-12 DISPATCH 04-23-12 ADELAIDE / MELBOURNE AUSTRALIA
- 04-08-12 DISPATCH 04-08-12 LOS ANGELES
- 01-29-12 DISPATCH 01-29-12 Saarbrucken Germany
- 01-21-12 DISPATCH 01-21-12 BEXHILL UK
- 01-02-12 DISPATCH 01-01-12 LOS ANGELES
2011December November October
- 10-24-11 DISPATCH 10-23-11 OAKLAND CA
- 10-17-11 DISPATCH 10-16-11 BOSTON MA
- 10-10-11 DISPATCH 10-09-11 PHILADELPHIA PA
- 09-21-11 DISPATCH 09-21-11 VIRGINIA
- 09-11-11 DISPATCH 09-11-11 LOS ANGELES
- 09-07-11 DISPATCH 09-06-11 PORT AU PRINCE HAITI
- 09-01-11 DISPATCH 09-01-11 LOS ANGELES
- 08-22-11 DISPATCH 08-22-11 BELFAST NORTHERN IRELAND
- 08-15-11 DISPATCH 08-15-11 LOS ANGELES CA
- 08-07-11 DISPATCH 08-07-11 LOS ANGELES
- 07-24-11 DISPATCH 07-24-11 LOS ANGELES
- 07-17-11 DISPATCH 07-17-11 LOS ANGELES
- 07-11-11 DISPATCH 07-11-11 ASHEVILLE NC
- 07-03-11 DISPATCH 07-03-11 LOS ANGELES
- 03-14-11 DISPATCH 03-13-11 LOS ANGELES
- 03-06-11 DISPATCH 03-06-11 MELBOURNE AUSTRALIA
- 03-01-11 DISPATCH 02-28-11 LA CA
- 02-20-11 DISPATCH 02-20-11 LOS ANGELES
- 02-10-11 DISPATCH 02-11-11 NEW YORK CITY
- 02-02-11 DISPATCHES JANUARY 2011