1407 hrs. On the bus in a parking lot. The weather outside is overcast and cool.
This particular leg of the tour has been going fast. All of a sudden, we are almost at the end. I have been going from one capital city to the next and it’s been great. The days pre-show have been busy shooting footage here and there and getting radio shows prepared so by the time I get onstage, I have been up and at it for a good part of the day.
I am glad that the presidential debates are over and soon we will be voting and getting on with things. Certainly, there will be some differences after the next election, no matter what happens of course but by and large, we will be where we have always been, getting the work done and getting on with our lives. This is what I am looking forward to.
These election cycles, to a degree have been taken away from the American people and have been perverted by a media that is profit motivated. The more attack ads that are made, the more money they make. The more fake outrage and vitriol, again, the more money is made. We are induced to think that these non issues are relevant. I am sure not all that many of us are impressed. It seems to me that the major media outlets are only performing for each other. We are seen as suckers who will take anything. I think we deserve better. Of course, no one is making you watch anything and thankfully, there are several outlets for getting information. Now and then, you can even get opinions from the candidates themselves. That seems to be one of the last places people go to get their opinions on the people they are going to vote for.
In interview situations, I often get asked what I think of the two men running for office. I don’t think it’s for me to weigh in on this stuff. I have a vote. I plan on using it. That’s all that I am responsible for and in control of. What you are going to do is 100% up to you. The last thing I would do is ask someone else who I should vote for. I get letters from young people asking me just that. I always tell them that I will in no way attempt to influence anyone’s vote. It’s one thing that is all yours and a lot of blood was spilled in this country to make it that way.
I would like to see the debates done much differently. All four candidates relied on small bits of memorized facts and figures. They trained at least in part to take advantage of the rules of engagement. When one is relegated to only a few minutes to speak, you’re only going to get to so much. I think the debates should be very long and very arduous. I think they should take hours and hours. Each candidate should be given at least an hour on each topic. The other candidate can take notes and wait his or her turn to dispute what was said. Then the other candidate will get an hour an the other will have time to dispute what was said. If the candidate strays from the topic, the moderator will step in and make the candidate stay on point. If the candidate runs out of things to say, the remaining time will be spent taking questions from people who oppose him. This will give us an opportunity to see what you have under the hood, so to speak. I think they all get off too easy. I think the debates have been turned into for profit television content. I want to see debates where “zingers” will no longer help you.
Tonight, I am speaking at a high school called Coney High, here in Augusta. I was walking through the hallways earlier today and saw a handwritten sign over one of the doorways that said, “Remain calm, vote Romney.” I don’t remember seeing anything like that posted anywhere when I was in school. Times have changed.
I am about 158 shows into this year with only a few more before it’s all over. I am starting to miss it already. I don’t feel tired or tired of being out there every night.
Thanks for making it to the shows and thanks for checking out all the stuff we’re posting on the Takepart site.
Yesterday, I interviewed a man named Bill who fought in WWII and specifically in the Battle of the Bulge. Fascinating guy, great interview. It will be up soon.
Thanks for reading this.
2017June May March
2015July June May April
- 04-28-15 Henry & Heidi Podcast: Rollins Band Part 2
- 04-13-15 Henry & Heidi Podcast: Haagen-Dazs
- 04-03-15 Henry & Heidi Podcast: The Chase
2012December November October September August July June
- 06-27-12 DISPATCH 06-27-12 LOS ANGELES
- 06-13-12 DISPATCH 06-13-12 OTTAWA CANADA
- 06-04-12 DISPATCH 06-03-12 WHITEHORSE YUKON TERRITORY CANADA
- 05-27-12 DISPATCH 05-27-12 LOS ANGELES
- 05-23-12 DISPATCH 05-22-12 EN ROUTE TO LOS ANGELES
- 05-13-12 DISPATCH 05-03-12 JOHANNESBURG SOUTH AFRICA
- 05-08-12 DISPATCH 05-08-12 WOLLONGONG AUSTRALIA
- 04-29-12 DISPATCH 04-29-12 SYDNEY TO DARWIN AUSTRALIA
- 04-23-12 DISPATCH 04-23-12 ADELAIDE / MELBOURNE AUSTRALIA
- 04-08-12 DISPATCH 04-08-12 LOS ANGELES
- 01-29-12 DISPATCH 01-29-12 Saarbrucken Germany
- 01-21-12 DISPATCH 01-21-12 BEXHILL UK
- 01-02-12 DISPATCH 01-01-12 LOS ANGELES
2011December November October
- 10-24-11 DISPATCH 10-23-11 OAKLAND CA
- 10-17-11 DISPATCH 10-16-11 BOSTON MA
- 10-10-11 DISPATCH 10-09-11 PHILADELPHIA PA
- 09-21-11 DISPATCH 09-21-11 VIRGINIA
- 09-11-11 DISPATCH 09-11-11 LOS ANGELES
- 09-07-11 DISPATCH 09-06-11 PORT AU PRINCE HAITI
- 09-01-11 DISPATCH 09-01-11 LOS ANGELES
- 08-22-11 DISPATCH 08-22-11 BELFAST NORTHERN IRELAND
- 08-15-11 DISPATCH 08-15-11 LOS ANGELES CA
- 08-07-11 DISPATCH 08-07-11 LOS ANGELES
- 07-24-11 DISPATCH 07-24-11 LOS ANGELES
- 07-17-11 DISPATCH 07-17-11 LOS ANGELES
- 07-11-11 DISPATCH 07-11-11 ASHEVILLE NC
- 07-03-11 DISPATCH 07-03-11 LOS ANGELES
- 03-14-11 DISPATCH 03-13-11 LOS ANGELES
- 03-06-11 DISPATCH 03-06-11 MELBOURNE AUSTRALIA
- 03-01-11 DISPATCH 02-28-11 LA CA
- 02-20-11 DISPATCH 02-20-11 LOS ANGELES
- 02-10-11 DISPATCH 02-11-11 NEW YORK CITY
- 02-02-11 DISPATCHES JANUARY 2011